What is the best way to break into the industry?

• Thank you received: 144

What is the best way to break into the industry? was created by Fred Ginsburg

Hi Professor:
I was hoping if you could give me some tips on getting work as a production sound mixer? I've been doing small jobs that I find on craigslist but I don't work enough and the pay is very low. What's the best way to break into the film/television world?

Are you following my tips and tricks that I discussed in the Getting Started in the Industry lecture? Joining organizations and getting on the journal or planning committees? Networking at meetings? Trying to work in sales/rentals?

Also, stop working for CHEAP. Demand a decent salary, a good boom operator, and a good equipment package. "Take it or leave it." has to be your mantra. If you establish yourself as a mediocre monkey who will do shit and get paid shit, then you will always be a manure guy. But if you only deliver quality, and come across as a pro, then you will be thought of as a pro.

If you establish yourself as a cheap beginner in the eyes of the producers, they will always strive to hire a "real sound mixer" on their bigger projects instead of you. You need to be the guy they aspire to have, not the guy they want to outgrow.

Draw a line in the sand and do not ever cross backwards over it, or you will never move forward.
10 years 6 months ago #1411

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.076 seconds