PowerPoint slides & videos

• Discussion Forum

Great for networking

Need advice? Ask a pro!

Chat with your peers

subscribe

FilmTVsound.com

• Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.

Font Size

Change Font Size
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Should you pass discounts on to the producer?

Should you pass discounts on to the producer? 3 years 6 months ago #2053

• Fred Ginsburg
  • Administrator
  • Professor / sound Mixer
  • Thank you received: 70
Fred,

Good seeing you last night. I have a quick question. The person at the rental house gave me a 25% discount on a weekly rental but then when I redid it for the extra 2 days for 2 weeks he gave me a 50% discount. Usually as a builder this is profit. I usually pass the savings onto the client which helps me develop my relationship where as most contractors would just pocket the money. What do you recommend in sound contracting? Should I pass on the discount for my bid on project 3?

Thank you very much,
Victor K.

Usually I try to keep the discount as a source of personal profit. Giving it all away to the Producer just lets him buy a nice house in Beverly Hills, but does not help me to move out of an apartment! (Only an example, I have a modest house.)

If the Producer was so keen on saving money, then he would be the one negotiating price and payment terms with LSC; you would just be the person ordering the gear.

Quote the client normal "street" prices, and consider the extra discount as your commission.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.191 seconds

About Us

This website is intended as an educational resource for those interested in video and film production. Our specialty is Production Sound Recording (location sound), although we are also versed in other aspects of production, from pre to post.

Our mission is not to sell you equipment, but to help you to master the complex craft of location audio recording for video and film.

Contact Us

• Mailing Address: PO Box 950207
    Mission Hills, CA 91395-0207
  • Tel: 1+ (818) 231-1038
You are here: Home Forum Equipment & Techniques General Questions Should you pass discounts on to the producer?