AT897 or AT8035 shotgun mic?

• Thank you received: 144

AT897 or AT8035 shotgun mic? was created by Fred Ginsburg

:dry: If you could afford just one mic for making indie films and you had to choose between the Audio Technica 8035 and 897 - which would you choose and why? We do most of our shooting indoors, but can do as much as 20% outside. We are going to use it on a boompole so the shorter length of the 897 doesn't really matter as far as keeping it out of the frame.

They are both similarly priced, and it looks like either one would work as a good general all purpose mic. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

The 8035 is merely a renamed version of the older AT835. Audio Technica had to make all of their mics compliant with the new eco regulations. Personally, I think they just should have retired it. It was a great mic in its day, but the 897 improved upon it in every way.

The AT897 is the true successor to the AT835. The 897 has a much fuller sound, better reach, and less echo. Go with the AT897, not the 8035.
12 years 6 months ago #26

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Edward Chamourian on topic Re: AT897 or AT8035 shotgun mic?

I was talking to Alex who was looking through ENGs and I wasn't sure what to tell him when we saw all the different models. I be sure to tell him to make sure that he doesn't get the 8035.
12 years 6 months ago #31

• Thank you received: 144

Replied by Fred Ginsburg on topic Re: AT897 or AT8035 shotgun mic?

He should also take a look at the Microphone Application Guide PDF in the shotgun mics section of the site. The brochure (which I wrote for AT) explains the differences in shotgun mics.
12 years 6 months ago #33

Time to create page: 0.060 seconds