PowerPoint slides & videos

• Discussion Forum

Great for networking

Need advice? Ask a pro!

Chat with your peers

subscribe

FilmTVsound.com

• Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.

Font Size

Change Font Size
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: AT897 or AT8035 shotgun mic?

AT897 or AT8035 shotgun mic? 6 years 2 months ago #26

• Fred Ginsburg
  • Administrator
  • Professor / sound Mixer
  • Thank you received: 70
:dry: If you could afford just one mic for making indie films and you had to choose between the Audio Technica 8035 and 897 - which would you choose and why? We do most of our shooting indoors, but can do as much as 20% outside. We are going to use it on a boompole so the shorter length of the 897 doesn't really matter as far as keeping it out of the frame.

They are both similarly priced, and it looks like either one would work as a good general all purpose mic. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

The 8035 is merely a renamed version of the older AT835. Audio Technica had to make all of their mics compliant with the new eco regulations. Personally, I think they just should have retired it. It was a great mic in its day, but the 897 improved upon it in every way.

The AT897 is the true successor to the AT835. The 897 has a much fuller sound, better reach, and less echo. Go with the AT897, not the 8035.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: AT897 or AT8035 shotgun mic? 6 years 2 months ago #31

I was talking to Alex who was looking through ENGs and I wasn't sure what to tell him when we saw all the different models. I be sure to tell him to make sure that he doesn't get the 8035.

Re: AT897 or AT8035 shotgun mic? 6 years 2 months ago #33

• Fred Ginsburg
  • Administrator
  • Professor / sound Mixer
  • Thank you received: 70
He should also take a look at the Microphone Application Guide PDF in the shotgun mics section of the site. The brochure (which I wrote for AT) explains the differences in shotgun mics.
Time to create page: 0.189 seconds

About Us

This website is intended as an educational resource for those interested in video and film production. Our specialty is Production Sound Recording (location sound), although we are also versed in other aspects of production, from pre to post.

Our mission is not to sell you equipment, but to help you to master the complex craft of location audio recording for video and film.

Contact Us

• Mailing Address: PO Box 950207
    Mission Hills, CA 91395-0207
  • Tel: 1+ (818) 231-1038
You are here: Home Forum Equipment & Techniques General Questions AT897 or AT8035 shotgun mic?