× CSUN - CTVA 250

For week of Feb 13, 2013 - Late NEWS

• Thank you received: 144

For week of Feb 13, 2013 - Late NEWS was created by Fred Ginsburg

Prof Hoggan has invited our class to attend a special presentation by Kodak about their film stocks in the Armer Theatre on Wed morning 8am. Please report directly to the Armer Theatre.

On Monday we will get to play with and learn about the Bolex camera. Please review the lecture powerpoint about film cameras, and read the Bolex manual on our site.

This week, Assignment 3 is due, if you have not already turned it in.

I have looked at the Assignment 2 DVD's. I am happy to report that everyone did very well; and a few of the submissions were really top notch and exceeded my expectations.

My general complaints to (some of) your projects were: the concept of a short pan is that it is not a long, dramatic camera move but just a short "correction" or short movement. What some groups called a short pan was in reality a long pan; and their long pans were "very long pans".

When you begin or end any camera movements, always establish a static or solid frame first. Do not just begin moving and then hit the on button! Your camera should be static for a moment, and then begin the motion. Ditto, at the end of your move, let the camera come to a complete stop. It gives you much better options during the edit. If you end up dissolving or match cutting between two moves, then you can always trim off the static frames later.

In Assignment 3, some of you missed the object of the exercise. You were supposed to cover a (long) continuous scene both from one long camera take, and then the same scene from a montage of static camera angles. A couple groups still covered the long action in a long take, with but one or two very brief static shots added. The idea was not to cover a long action by letting the camera just run, but to create the illusion of time & space via a series of short cuts.

I was very pleased with the results of our first day of hands-on shooting. We will continue the exercise on Wednesday, so that you all get a chance to perform different roles on the set.

Now that you have been exposed a little to sync sound, you may want to check out the reading list for CTVA 358 to learn more about sound recording.

This week, every one is required to leave a reply to this posting. Those who are not subscribed to the site and fail to leave a reply will be penalized, since that means that you are not keeping up with the class.

Continue the readings in Pincus, as directed. I have not received any questions from any students about the content of the readings, so I must assume it is as clear as can be and that you understand everything the authors have stated.

I might just hit you up with a pop quiz at any time!
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by Fred Ginsburg.
11 years 2 months ago #1024

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Ashley Aminian on topic Re: For week of Feb 13, 2013

Read it. Thanks.
11 years 2 months ago #1025

Replied by matin mohammadi on topic Re: For week of Feb 13, 2013

read it professor, thank you.
11 years 2 months ago #1026

Replied by Elmer Zelaya on topic Re: For week of Feb 13, 2013

Thank you for the feedback.
11 years 2 months ago #1029

Replied by Della Atherton on topic Re: For week of Feb 13, 2013

Read it. Thank you.
11 years 2 months ago #1030

Replied by James Zamora on topic Re: For week of Feb 13, 2013

Read it thanks.
11 years 2 months ago #1031

Time to create page: 0.204 seconds