× CSUN - CTVA 250

For week ending Mar 6, 2013 - MONDAY EDITION

• Thank you received: 144

For week ending Mar 6, 2013 - MONDAY EDITION was created by Fred Ginsburg

You all cannot believe how proud I was of the class on last Wed. It was thrilling to see you functioning smoothly as film crews: directing, blocking, lighting, shooting, and mixing sound!

Let's wrap up the remaining Assignment 4's (I will grade them this weekend). If you have not yet turned it in, then bring it on Monday.

We need to see your storyboards for the Bolex film project. We also need to begin hearing your story treatments for your big video shoots.

Please leave a reply so that I know you have read this message.

ADDED MONDAY MARCH 4 :ohmy:

I apologize if anyone thought that I had anything against scriptwriters.... I have a lot of respect for scriptwriters. But writing a film is different than MAKING a film, and this course does concentrate on MAKING films, and preparing students for the Film Option (should they choose it and pass the portfolio screening process).

In the CTVA Dept, although you can declare an option such as Film, TV, MultiMedia, Scriptwriting, Electronic Media Mgt -- all of those Options require C or better in your prerequisites, although B or better gives you better chances of being accepted in (if there are a lot of applicants). To get into the Film Production Option, you need B minus or better!

However, your performance in 250 is taken into consideration during the review process. Remember, budget cuts and university down sizing are real possibilities -- so your pre-req grades need to be impressive.

CSUN students wishing to change from another major into CTVA must have a minimum 2.0 GPA and may apply for admission into the CTVA major by submitting to Admissions and Records a Change of Major Form signed by the Department Chair.

After successfully completing all requirements for the Pre-CTVA major listed below, and after completing at least 60 units of college/university-level course work, students should apply for admission into one of the CTVA major options by submitting to Admissions and Records a Change of Major Form signed by the Department Chair.

There are additional requirements for admission into the Film and Screenwriting Options. Students applying for the Film or Screenwriting Option must meet various minimum grade requirements and must submit a portfolio for review and approval by the CTVA faculty; Screenwriting candidates must also pass an entrance exam. Deadline dates, exam dates and portfolio format requirements can be found on the department’s website and in the department office.

Special Course and Grade Requirements for the CTVA Major
All lower and upper division courses taken toward completion of the Pre-CTVA and CTVA requirements must be completed with a grade of C or better. (NOTE--Students intending to enter the Screenwriting Option must pass CTVA 220 with a grade of B- or better. Students intending to enter the Film Option must pass CTVA 250 with a grade of B- or better.)

BOLEX FILM PROJECTS

Remember, you get 100 ft (3 minutes) of raw stock to carve out a 30 second to 1 minute finished exercise. Make sure that you have enough action to fill at least 30 seconds worth, and strive to be as creative as possible in coming up with a theme that will allow you to showcase your ability to convey a series of simple tasks with matched action, cut on the action, editing.

Three minutes of raw stock is not much, so perhaps you will need to keep things a bit simple, but not too simple! You can do a lot in 30 seconds! But unless you plan out your shoots very tightly, you will run out of film before you are able to shoot all of your raw material.

I strongly suggest that you do a test shoot or mock-up in video, to see if your tale can be done with only 3 minutes of stock.

If it were easy, then 250 would be part of the General Ed curriculum! Again, this is a hurdle. BE as creative as possible using as little wasted film as possible.
Last edit: 11 years 3 weeks ago by Fred Ginsburg.
11 years 4 weeks ago #1109

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Yoshimasa Miyazaki on topic Re: For week ending Mar 6, 2013

Read it. Thanks.
11 years 3 weeks ago #1125

Replied by matin mohammadi on topic Re: For week ending Mar 6, 2013

read it , thanks
11 years 3 weeks ago #1126

Replied by Ashley Aminian on topic Re: For week ending Mar 6, 2013

Read it. Thanks.
11 years 3 weeks ago #1127

Replied by Della Atherton on topic Re: For week ending Mar 6, 2013

Read it. Thank you
11 years 3 weeks ago #1129

Replied by Elmer Zelaya on topic Re: For week ending Mar 6, 2013

Read it. Thanks.
11 years 3 weeks ago #1130

Time to create page: 0.177 seconds