PowerPoint slides & videos

• Discussion Forum

Great for networking

Need advice? Ask a pro!

Chat with your peers

subscribe

FilmTVsound.com

• Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.

Font Size

Change Font Size
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: What is the best way to break into the industry?

What is the best way to break into the industry? 4 years 2 months ago #1411

• Fred Ginsburg
  • Administrator
  • Professor / sound Mixer
  • Thank you received: 70
Hi Professor:
I was hoping if you could give me some tips on getting work as a production sound mixer? I've been doing small jobs that I find on craigslist but I don't work enough and the pay is very low. What's the best way to break into the film/television world?

Are you following my tips and tricks that I discussed in the Getting Started in the Industry lecture? Joining organizations and getting on the journal or planning committees? Networking at meetings? Trying to work in sales/rentals?

Also, stop working for CHEAP. Demand a decent salary, a good boom operator, and a good equipment package. "Take it or leave it." has to be your mantra. If you establish yourself as a mediocre monkey who will do shit and get paid shit, then you will always be a manure guy. But if you only deliver quality, and come across as a pro, then you will be thought of as a pro.

If you establish yourself as a cheap beginner in the eyes of the producers, they will always strive to hire a "real sound mixer" on their bigger projects instead of you. You need to be the guy they aspire to have, not the guy they want to outgrow.

Draw a line in the sand and do not ever cross backwards over it, or you will never move forward.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.187 seconds

About Us

This website is intended as an educational resource for those interested in video and film production. Our specialty is Production Sound Recording (location sound), although we are also versed in other aspects of production, from pre to post.

Our mission is not to sell you equipment, but to help you to master the complex craft of location audio recording for video and film.

Contact Us

• Mailing Address: PO Box 950207
    Mission Hills, CA 91395-0207
  • Tel: 1+ (818) 231-1038
You are here: Home Forum Equipment & Techniques General Questions What is the best way to break into the industry?